10 Tips To Make The Creamiest Mushroom and Chicken Stroganoff
Creamy, comforting, and quick to make. Here is our step-by-step recipe of Mushroom and Chicken Stroganoff.
Our reviews are research-based, and all trials and testings are conducted in-house over days and weeks. We have a strict no-free-sample policy to ensure our reviews are fair and impartial.
It’s a bit of a tongue twister. Stroganoff. Isn’t it? But why is it called that? Well, it is named after the person who created it – Count Pavel Aleksandrovich Stroganoff. Some stories say that this dish was named after one of the members of the influential Stroganov family of Russia, where the dish was made using beef instead of chicken and modified over the years.
Chicken Stroganoff is enjoyed during Christmas eve dinners and on cold winter nights as it’s a creamy and comforting dish. The chicken stroganoff is a classic recipe that has a creamy, sour, semi-thick gravy and is made with tender chicken pieces and mushrooms.
Here is a detailed recipe. Do not miss to check out the live video!
Watch – Chicken Stroganoff Recipe
View this post on Instagram
Related ProductsAmazon Solimo Vegetable ChopperThis vegetable chopper offers even, consistent cuts along with a smooth pulling action.Nestle Classic Chocolate BarSmooth, rich, decadent, and creamy with vanilla essence, this classic chocolate bar is everything!*Based on Mishry's internal reviews and ratings
- Boneless chicken breasts cut into small cubes- approx 300 g
- Green Capsicum – 1 (Chopped into triangles)
- Amul Cream – 3/4th Cup
- Amul cheese spread punchy pepper Cheese Spread – 3 Tbsp (Our Top Pick)
- Butter – 3 Tbsp
- Onion – 1 small – chopped
- Mushroom – 1 box (quartered)
- Garlic – 3 to 4 crushed
- Kissan tomato puree – ½ Tbsp
- Maggie Tomato Chilli Sauce – 1 Tbsp
- Mustard powder – 1/4th tsp
- White wine or chicken broth or water – 1/4th cup
- Salt and pepper – to taste
- Chilli powder – ½ tsp
- All purpose flour – 1 Tbsp
- Extra virgin olive oil – 2 Tbsp
- Fresh parsley – For garnish
- In a bowl whip cream and cheese spread well till smooth and keep it aside.
- Marinate chicken pieces with salt, pepper and chilly powder.
- Heat up a wok (We used Amazon wok), add some olive oil and butter.
- Add chicken pieces and cook till browned and cooked well.
- Remove the chicken pieces in a plate.
- In the same wok or pan, add olive oil and butter, add onion and cook until pinkish.
- Add mushrooms and cook for 1 or 2 minutes.
- Mix the cooked chicken with the mushrooms and stir.
- Add crushed garlic, tomato puree, tomato chilli sauce, salt, pepper, chilli powder and mustard powder.
- Mix and saute for 2-3 minutes.
- Add flour and mix well. Cook till the raw flavor of the flour disappears.
- Now take the pan off the heat and add cream cheese mixture prepared earlier.
- Stir continuously off heat.
- Return the pan to the heat and add white wine or chicken stock. Stir.
- Add chopped capsicum.
- Just cook for a minute more on low flame.
- Garnish with fresh parsley. Serve hot.
- Serve hot with pasta, steamed rice or mashed potato by the side.
- Since the chicken stroganoff is a creamy dish, serve with steamed greens as a side to balance out the creamy stroganoff.
- To re-heat, just add some warm water and loosen out the dish and heat on a very low flame to avoid the cream from separating.
- Vegetarians can omit the chicken and follow the rest of the recipe.
10 Hacks To Make The Best Chicken Stroganoff
- Marinating the chicken pieces will enhance the flavour of the chicken which otherwise tastes bland.
- To heat leftover chicken stroganoff add some water and loosen out the gravy. Heat on a very low flame to prevent curdling.
- Use salted butter to saute the chicken and the mushrooms which adds depth of flavor.
- Healthy swap – As a replacement for cream, use hung curd or caramelised onions. As a replacement for all purpose flour use whole wheat flour or oats flour.
- Make mustard powder at home. The pungency is unmatched. Just grind yellow mustard seeds in a mixer jar without any water and you are sorted.
- Wash the mushrooms just before making the stroganoff as it will stay white and enhance the look and taste of the dish.
- Always use olive oil and butter together to prevent the butter from burning. Butter if burnt ruins the overall taste of the dish.
- Try to cook the chicken on high heat so that it cooks quickly and will not turn rubbery.
- The proportion of all purpose flour to the liquid used would be 2 tbsp to a cup of any liquid used. This would yield a medium thick sauce. If you want a very thick sauce, use equal proportion of flour and liquid.
- Another important hack is whenever it’s time to cook the cream and cream cheese mixture, take the pan off the heat to avoid curdling.
- Use locally available mushrooms.
Made in a jiffy, this is a super comforting classic recipe.
For an alteration try seasoning the chicken with more herbs like cayenne pepper, garlic and onion powder along with the salt. If you do not have access to parsley then it can be replaced with paprika, fresh dill or fresh basil. You can also add red chillies roundels as a garnish. Swap capsicum with fresh green peas to break the monotony.
If you try out the recipe, post your picture and tag us!