Yu Foodlabs Pasta Bowl Review: Ready To Eat in 4 Minutes
A clean label is what gives Yu Foodlabs Pasta bowls an edge over other packaged instant meals. We reviewed all three variants.
If you’ve ever wondered how astronauts eat in a weightless environment, how are meals packed, what do they taste like- this read is going to be super interesting!
For the 2020 NASA Space X, the team of experts used several advanced biochemical processes and technologies for good-tasting, nutritious meals. While beverage powders and snack bars have a longer shelf life, fresh produce like fruits and veggies are chlorine sanitized to preserve them for a bit longer.
Bharat Bhalla and Varun Kapur, founders of Yu Foodlabs stumbled upon this ‘space foods’ technique when they set out to curate packaged foods without compromising on taste or nutrition.
Yu Foodlabs offer three ranges- oat bowls, pasta bowls, and halwa bowls. Since pasta bowls are what elated us the most, here is our Yu Foodlabs pasta bowls review. We picked all three variants for the review.
Yu Foodlabs Pasta Bowls We Reviewed
Yu Foodlabs Pasta Bowl Review- What You Need To Know
Ingredients, packaging and everything in between about Yu Foodlabs Pasta bowls is discussed below.
1. Available Flavours
The pasta bowls are available in three variants. We reviewed the entire range with chunky tomato, three cheese, and peri peri pasta bowls.
2. Available Sizes
The pasta bowls hold 55-60 grams of content (before it is ready to eat) based on the variant.
3. Price Range
One bowl is priced between Rs 90-95.
4. Shelf Life
Yu Foodlabs Pasta bowls have a shelf life of 12 months.
Related Reading- Types of pasta
Yu Foodlabs Pasta Bowl – Our Review Factors
In addition to rating these pasta bowls on the convenience they offer, we also decode the taste, texture, pasta to gravy proportions, and more.
How well is the meal packed? Inside the containers, there is a pack of pasta, a pack that holds the sauce/gravy, and one with the seasoning. Cutlery is included too.
2. Main Ingredients
‘Clean label’? Are these pasta bowls completely devoid of nasty chemicals?
Or are these nasties hidden under fine print? Does the brand indicate the quality of ingredients used? What is the pasta made of?
How do these pasta bowls taste? Is the three cheese variant creamy enough? Does the tomato variant showcase the classic tanginess? What about Peri Peri, is it all spice or does it hold a balanced profile? What about the seasoning?
Is the sauce to pasta quantity proportionate? Does this ensure even flavors throughout the bowl? Does the herb seasoning add an inviting flavor or can it be skipped?
Ready-to-eat meals, especially pastas and noodles can have an undesirable texture. Sometimes squidgy, sometimes undercooked. Despite being paired with a decently flavored gravy/seasoning, the half-cooked texture can ruin the experience or vice-versa.
To prepare the pasta, you need to add the recommended quantity of water, add the pasta, and the sauce, stir them well, and set aside for four minutes. Is the recommended duration enough? Does it reach the al dente stage, does it have the perfect bite or does it remain a bit under?
5. Nutritional Facts
A 190-gram serving (55-60 grams before rehydration) offers 230-290 Kcal. There are around 8-10 grams of protein with 25-35 grams of carbohydrates, and 7-11 grams of fat.
Related Reading- Pasta sauces you can make at home!
Yu Foodlabs Pasta Bowl Flavours – Detailed Review
Here are the details of our experience with Yu Foodlabs Pasta Bowls.
Before we start with individual pasta bowls, there are a few things that are common with all three –
- All the pasta bowls come in bowls with lids.
- Inside the bowl there are four things – a pack that holds the pasta, a pack that holds the powdered sauce, the herb seasoning and a fork.
- To make the pasta, all you need from your pantry is hot water.
- We made all the pasta bowls as per the instructions given on the pack.
|Yu Foodlabs Pasta||Chunky Tomato||Three Cheese||Peri Peri Pasta|
|Price||Rs 90||Rs 95||Rs 95|
|Main Ingredients||Durum Wheat Pasta, Fresh Tomatoes, Garlic, Onions, Leeks, Celery, Carrots, Fresh Basil, Fresh Cream, Milk, Butter, Parmesan Cheese, Tomato Puree, Refined Flour, Salt, Black Pepper, Oregano, Chilli Flakes, Water.||Durum Wheat Pasta, Garlic, Fresh Basil, Spinach, Fresh Cream, Milk, Butter, Parmesan Cheese, English Cheddar, Parmesan Cheese, Refined Flour, Turmeric, Salt, Black Pepper, Oregano, Chilli Flakes, Water.||Durum Wheat Pasta, Fresh Tomatoes, Red Capsicum, Spinach, Garlic, Onions, Paprika, Cashew Nuts, Butter, Ginger, Fresh Cream, Milk, Tomato Puree, Refined Flour, Red Chilli Powder, Salt, Black Pepper, Oregano, Chilli Flakes, Mint Leaf, Water.|
|Calories||231 Kcal||283 Kcal||238 Kcal|
|Shelf Life||12 months||12 months||12 months|
1. Chunky Tomato Pasta
The Chunky Tomato pasta is super aromatic. The powder for the sauce mixed well with the hot water.
We loved the taste and texture of the sauce. The chunky bits of tomato plumped up well and retained their freshness. At no point does it feel like you’re eating an instant pasta meal. The herbs, pepper, tangy tomato sauce and the garlicky flavors come together beautifully to make an appetising base. We could also see some dehydrated carrots which added to the textural interplay.
The texture of the pasta is not al-dente. It’s not squidgy and retains a minimal bite. The size of the pasta is much smaller than the regular pasta we usually get at home.
Backing the ‘no preservative, no additive’ claim, this pasta had no artificial/industrial tastes whatsoever. Another aspect worth mentioning was the ratio of sauce to pasta. The pasta doesn’t feel too dry or vice versa.
- A 55-gram bowl is priced at Rs 90.
- After rehydration, one serve is around 190 grams.
- It has a shelf life of 12 months.
- Main Ingredients- Durum Wheat Pasta, Fresh Tomatoes, Garlic, Onions, Leeks, Celery, Carrots, Fresh Basil, Fresh Cream, Milk, Butter, Parmesan Cheese, Tomato Puree, Refined Flour, Salt, Black Pepper, Oregano, Chilli Flakes, Water.
- FRESH! This pasta bowl is not artificial tasting.
- The sauce to gravy proportion is on point.
- This is an instant and tasty fix ideal for one serve.
- The clean ingredient list justifies the price.
- We loved the texture of the sauce.
- The texture of the pasta isn’t the best.
Best Suited For
Back-to-back classes? Never-ending presentations? Midnight craving? This instant pasta might be the answer if you’re under a time crunch and craving something warm and tangy.
2. Three Cheese Pasta
Just like the first variant, the Three Cheese base mixed with hot water effortlessly. The same preparation process was followed and once ready, this pasta bowl lent a cheesy-herby aroma.
The pasta had expanded well and overall, this instant meal looked creamy. Texturally, this variant surpassed Chunky Tomato as the pasta had a softer bite. An undesirable but common occurrence with RTE cheese-based snacks is the gloopy texture. Fortunately, this wasn’t the case with Yu Foodlabs pasta. The sauce was rich and creamy.
The taste left us delightfully surprised. The sauce? Spectacular! It was seasoned really well. This cheese pasta has a pronounced flavor of basil laced with subtle garlickiness. This is not spicy, so kids will really relish it.
- A single-serve 65-gram container is priced at Rs 95.
- The shelf life is the same as above.
- Main Ingredients include Durum Wheat Pasta, Garlic, Fresh Basil, Spinach, Fresh Cream, Milk, Butter, Parmesan Cheese, English Cheddar, Parmesan Cheese, Refined Flour, Turmeric, Salt, Black Pepper, Oregano, Chilli Flakes, Water.
- Taste and texture, this is easily one of the best ‘instant’ cheese pasta.
- The look and aroma of this pasta got us drooling.
- The pasta had a nice bite to it.
- Great consistency, great flavors- the sauce had our hearts.
- The cheese and basil flavors were superb.
Best Suited For
Clean ingredients, hassle-free preparation, and a sure shot crowd pleaser- Yu Foodlabs’ Three Cheese pasta is something we urge all our readers to try.
3.Peri Peri Pasta
Add water, set aside- these steps were followed in a similar fashion as the first two variants.
The overall texture and ratio of pasta to sauce were identical to the initial variants. The sauce coated the pasta entirely, but did not impact the ‘bite’. The pasta did not turn mushy or limpy.
Peri Peri as we know, is a complex blend of flavors. Bold heat with a subtle tang and slight sweetness is what Peri Peri is known for. Despite showcasing this flavor profile, this variant wasn’t really appreciated. It had an overload of salt which degraded the entire experience. Moreover, the heat is very unidimensional. This was our least favorite amongst the three variants we tried.
- Shelf life, price, net weight- same as Three Cheese pasta.
- Main Ingredients – Durum Wheat Pasta, Fresh Tomatoes, Red Capsicum, Spinach, Garlic, Onions, Paprika, Cashew Nuts, Butter, Ginger, Fresh Cream, Milk, Tomato Puree, Refined Flour, Red Chilli Powder, Salt, Black Pepper, Oregano, Chilli Flakes, Mint Leaf, Water.
- The texture of pasta was quite good.
- Ratio of sauce to pasta is remarkable!
- This a bit over salted.
- The chilli heat is unidimensional.
Our Top Picks & Recommendations
Three words for the Three Cheese pasta variant- we love it! Taste, texture, the satisfaction- Yu Foodlabs Three Cheese pasta bowl is too good!
That said, we also recommend the Chunky Tomato variant for its fresh flavors and the chunky tomato sauce.
Yu Foodlabs pasta bowls are a traveler’s best friend! High on convenience and flavor, these pasta bowls can be prepared almost instantly without much effort.
The clean ingredient list and no preservatives/no additives are commendable!
With a movie marathon or late-night study sessions, do you prefer a bowl of cheesy pasta or one with a veggie-based gravy?
Frequently Asked Questions
Here are some interesting FAQs on the Yu Foodlabs pasta bowl.
1. Do these pasta bowls have additional flavor enhancers?
No, these only contain natural ingredients.
2. Are these portions of pasta too spicy?
Not at all! All flavor profiles are well-balanced except the Peri Peri variant which is a bit too salty.
3. Are these pasta bowls gluten-free?
No, the pasta is made of durum wheat.
4. Do these pasta bowls contain preservatives?
No, they are devoid of any preservatives.
5. How to store these portions of pasta after unpacking?
It must be consumed immediately once prepared. If the packets are sealed, you can store them in a cool and dry place.
Quick Meals? Check These Reviews
* If you do agree with our review, please give it a thumbs up! And, tell us which one is your favorite from this list. If you don’t, please tell us why!
* Food & Beverage is a constantly evolving segment with new products launched daily. Our endeavor here is to help shoppers buy better. If there’s a product you would like us to review tell us by clicking here.
* Our reviews are unbiased and all samples used during the reviews were paid for by us. Read our entire ethics statement here.
* No part of this review is sponsored by any brand. All expenses were borne by us.