Smith & Jones Pasta Masala Review – For A Desi Twist
Smith And Jones Pasta Masala is a complete spice mix for desi pasta lovers. Read on.
Our reviews are research-based, and all trials and testings are conducted in-house over days and weeks. We have a strict no-free-sample policy to ensure our reviews are fair and impartial.
Just like many other international dishes like pizzas, burgers and chow mein, pastas have taken a desi twist as well. You see everything ranging from tandoori mayonnaise to desi masalas making their way into the pasta sauce.
While some like their pastas untouched by desi-masalas, there are a few who relish it more than the traditional recipes. For those, the Smith And Jones Pasta Masala could be a boon. We tested this pasta masala in our review lab to check its taste and convenience. Read the full Smith & Jones pasta masala review.
We tested two variants of Smith And Jones Paneer Masala. Should you buy them?
Table of Contents
Smith & Jones Pasta Masala – Everything You Need To Know
Here is all that you need to know about the Smith & Jones Pasta Masala.
The pasta masala is packed in a yellow carton. This 54 gram carton holds three single-use sachets of 18 grams each.
2. Main Ingredients
The ingredients used are – Salt, Mixed spices (20% – Garlic, Coriander, Cumin, Onion, Chilli), Corn flour, Sugar, Tomato powder, Flavor enhancer (E635), Anticaking agent (E551), Yeast extract, Acidity regulator (E330), Beet root powder, Sunflower oil
Contains added flavors (Nature identical flavoring substances (Tomato))
Allergy Advice – This product was processed on machinery and plant that also processes cereals containing gluten (including wheat), peanuts tree nuts, sesame seeds, soy, mustard and milk (dairy products)
Looking for a fresh tasting ginger garlic paste?
Pastas can be made using fresh, juicy tomatoes or a rich creamy cheese sauce. It can also be sauceless and made just using olive oil, garlic and herbs. The seasonings are subjective and usually added as per personal preferences. A desi version includes loads of vegetables and a tadkedaar sauce that is an overload of masalas.
Smith And Jones Pasta Masala offers desi flavors for your pasta bowl which is also convenient. No tedious sauce making, just this masala and you should be sorted.
But what type of flavors does the masala offer? The seasoning and spice levels were all gauged in our review.
When we add water to the pan, does the pasta become saucy or does it remain dry? Does the masala coat the pasta well?
Smith And Jones Pasta Masala is a dry powder that is burnt-red/orange in color.
A 54 gram pack (3 pouches of 18 grams each) is priced at Rs 46/-.
7. Shelf Life
The shelf life of the pasta masala is 15 months.
8. Method Of Cooking
Here are the instructions which we followed –
- Heat 4 Tbsp oil and stir fry 200 grams of chopped veggies. We added green capsicum, onions and carrots.
- Add boiled pasta and stir fry.
- Add the pasta masala and toss.
- Add 1 cup (100 ml) water and stir fry for 2-3 minutes. Serve hot.
There is no need to add salt or any other masala. This is supposed to be a complete spice mix.
Maggi’s Kadhai Paneer Mix is worth trying.
Smith & Jones Pasta Masala – Detailed Review
|Add to cart
The instructions were for a sauceless pasta and we followed them exactly. The instructions given on the pack are easy to follow. It is easy to use, and cook with. There are no extra spices you would require to make the pasta.
The pasta masala coats the veggies and pasta well and forms a light sauce in a few pockets. It’s not exterrmely saucy and slurrpy, but doesn’t make the pasta seem bland. Don’t expect an Italian-style saucy pasta.
Flavor wise, we felt that the masala was a bit too salty. Even if you under salt the pasta while boiling, it can get a bit on the higher side. There are no garlicky notes, so you might want to add some on your own. The chili is very low too and people who like a peppery, red chili heat will have to add a substantial amount on their own.
While the brand claims that 1 sachet of the masala is enough to make 4 servings, we felt that might not be the case. If consuming it as a snack, maybe. But definitely not as a full meal. A single sachet makes enough pasta to serve 2 people (as a full meal).
- A 54 gram box of this pasta masala contains three sachets of 18 gram masala.
- Each sachet is single-use.
- The price is Rs 46/- for a carton.
- The shelf life is 15 months.
- Ingredients – Salt, Mixed spices, Corn flour, Sugar, Tomato powder, Flavor enhancer (E635), Anticaking agent (E551), Yeast extract, Acidity regulator (E330), Beet root powder, Sunflower oil
- It is convenient to use.
- The masala is beginner-friendly.
- The desi flavor it lends to a pasta bowl is nice.
- The masala is a bit high on salt, so adjust the quantity after tasting.
- This definitely needs more garlic and chili.
Best Suited For
If you are fond of desi flavors in your pasta bowl, the Smith And Jones Pasta Masala is a quick and convenient-to-use spice mix. Best for beginners.
Frequently Asked Questions
Here are some interesting FAQs on Smith & Jones pasta masala.
1. How many sachets are there in this box?
Each box contains three single-use sachets.
2. Is this masala too spicy?
No. The masala has low spice levels. You might have to adjust as per your liking.
3. Does this masala contain additional flavor enhancers?
Yes. It contains E635 which is a flavor enhancer. It is usually added to packaged food like noodles, chips and sauces and lends a umami taste.
4. Does this masala contain preservatives?
The masala contains E330 a.k.a citric acid which is a flavoring agent and acidity regulator. It also doubles up as a preservative.
5. Is this pasta masala completely vegetarian?
Yes. The Smith And Jones Pasta Masala is completely vegetarian.
Smith And Jones Pasta Masala packs in desi flavors in a plain bowl of pasta. While we feel it made our dish over-salted, the addition of some more pasta and veggies would have balanced it out a bit. To perfect this dish, we suggest you keep tasting and keep adjusting!
Which is your favorite way to consume pasta? The traditional or something desi? Let us know in the section down below.
Reviews Related to Smith And Jones Pasta Masala
* If you do agree with our review, please give it a thumbs up! And, tell us which one is your favorite from this list. If you don’t, please tell us why!
* Food & Beverage is a constantly evolving segment with new products launched daily. Our endeavor here is to help shoppers buy better. If there’s a product you would like us to review tell us by clicking here.
* Our reviews are unbiased and all samples used during the reviews were paid for by us. Read our entire ethics statement here.
* No part of this review is sponsored by any brand. All expenses were borne by us.