Is Muesli Good for Weight Loss: How to Prepare for Maximum Benefit
Is muesli a good breakfast option for weight loss? Know more from here.
Our reviews are research-based, and all trials and testings are conducted in-house over days and weeks. We have a strict no-free-sample policy to ensure our reviews are fair and impartial.
Breakfast is, without any questions, an important meal of the day. After eating dinner, which is the last meal of the day, breakfast breaks the overnight fasting period. It helps kick-start your metabolism. Throughout the day, it helps to burn your calories. Health-conscious people must eat a proper breakfast. It can even help you to manage your weight. Muesli is one breakfast option consumed by many, but is muesli a good option for weight loss?
This article will give all the related information about the benefits of muesli and other breakfast options.
Table of Contents
Is Muesli good for weight loss?
There are many benefits of having breakfast. Breakfast is considered as one of the important meals, which should never be ignored.
Benefits of breakfast
- Breakfast boosts your energy levels and helps you to stay focus at work or school.
- It also requires other essential nutrients required for our body.
- In the long term, it reduces type2 diabetes and heart disease.
- Breakfast helps you to control your appetite by preventing large fluctuations in blood glucose levels.
What kind of breakfast should you have?
Renowned dietitian and spokeswoman for the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics say that proper guidance is needed to decide what to eat for proper nutrition.
Guidelines for Eating a proper Breakfast
Here are a few guidelines for eating a proper breakfast.
Always pair carbohydrates with proteins. Your body needs carbohydrates as it gives energy to you and your brain needs the fuel to work.
Protein gives you stamina and keeps you full for the next meal.
The combination can be:
- Have bread for carbohydrates and whole-grain cereals.
- For protein, have cottage cheese with low-fat milk/yogurt.
- Include fresh fruits and vegetables.
- For more protein, have nuts or legumes.
You must take an adequate amount of protein at breakfast. Along with that, take a good amount of carbohydrates. An adult should take 20-30 grams of protein in the morning. You can also eat Greek yogurt with flax seeds, and sometimes with an egg and sausages.
What is Muesli?
If you are wondering if muesli is a good option for weight loss or not, read on.
Muesli (pronounced as Mews-li) is a ready-to-eat cereal.
It is a protein-rich breakfast. Muesli can also be considered to be a brunch option. It contains rolled oats and whole grains mixed with various nuts, seeds, dried fruits, and sweets.
Muesli is widely popular in Europe, Australia, and New Zealand.
You can eat it in many ways. You can soak muesli in milk, water, juice and can eat cold. Muesli food can be eaten like traditional oatmeal by cooking in boiling water or milk. You can also add muesli to yogurt, fruit salads, and can use it in baking recipes.
If you wish to shed some weight, muesli is the right option.
How to eat Muesli?
Whether it is a freezing morning or a sizzling summer, you can eat muesli for breakfast or muesli for dinner in the following ways:
- You can have a bowl of muesli with milk. Mix 1/2 cup of muesli and 1/2 cup of milk and consume it immediately. Add 1/2 cup of muesli and 1/2 cup of milk in a bowl and keep it in the fridge overnight. This is similar to overnight oats, where the texture is creamier and softer.
- Muesli digests easily.
- You can add toppings like honey, fresh fruits, extra nuts, seeds, and vegetables with your Muesli.
- Put the Muesli and water/milk in equal parts in a pot on the stovetop. Cook it on medium-high heat for 3-4 minutes. Let it stand for 2 minutes and have it after that.
- Take the equal amount of muesli and milk in a microwave-safe bowl. Keep it in the microwave for 1 minute, then stir and let it stand for 2 minutes.
If you are a sweet lover but need to lose some weight,
Here are other ways of having Muesli
- You can add muesli into cake, cookies, and muffin mixes.
- It can be added to your pancake mix as well.
- To add a little crunch, add muesli to your favorite smoothie.
- It also can be included with your bowl of fresh fruits.
Yes! This can answer you ‘Is Muesli better than other cereals for Weight Loss?’
What is Muesli made of?
The ingredients of Muesli food are
- Wheat flakes
- Pieces of fruits, nuts, and seeds
- Rolled oats
- Honey, cinnamon, quinoa
- Coconut, chocolate
- Naturals fruits
Other flavors like strawberry, vanilla, etc.
What are the benefits of eating Muesli?
To reap amazing health benefits, one must have a nutritious, natural, and filling breakfast in the morning as that can make all the difference. Nothing can beat a bowl of muesli, which is a good source of protein and antioxidants.
There are many health benefits of muesli.
1. Regulates digestive system
One of the main ingredients of muesli food is oats, which are rich in fiber. Due to its high fiber content, it is more filling than other items. Both oats and whole grains help to regulate your digestive tract.
2. Takes time to digest
As Muesli takes time to digest, it keeps you full for long hours. You do not have to starve after having Muesli as it is rich in fiber and protein, which takes time to break down. Raw oats contain resistant starch, which is broken down in your stomach.
Digestive acids that are present in your stomach are released and suppress your appetite. This process speeds up your metabolism and ends up burning calories in less time. Thus, making you stay full.
3. Contains fewer calories
Muesli is healthier than other cereals that are available in the market. Calories in Muesli are relatively less than pastries, doughnuts, and breakfast sandwiches. To get more nutrition and flavor, pair it with fresh fruits and milk.
4. Good for heart
Muesli contains oat bran. Beta-glucan is an oat fiber present in oat bran, which reduces cholesterol levels by 10%. If you consume oats regularly, the health of your heart will improve drastically. You can also add Vitamin C to the concoction as it helps to cut down your cholesterol by boosting your heart health.
Muesli for weight loss
The main ingredient of Muesli is oats, which are a rich source of fiber. It curbs your unwanted cravings and keeps you full for longer hours. Try avoiding sugar in your Muesli, and it will help you to lose weight. For fitness freaks and weight watchers, eat Muesli with skimmed milk or yogurt, and enjoy your healthy breakfast.
So, if you have no idea about ‘is Muesli a good option to lose weight,’ this is an ideal breakfast for weight loss.
1. Improves bone health
The content of protein in Muesli is rich and helps in strengthening your bones. Also, by adding milk to your Muesli, you will get calcium, further supporting your bone health.
2. Contains omega-3 acids
Muesli also contains various nuts like almonds, walnuts, peanuts, pistachio, cashew nuts, and oats. These nuts contain an ample amount of omega-3 fatty acids. This component gives you glowing skin, gives strength to your hair, and maintains your heart health.
3. A good source of iron
Iron helps to keep a check on your blood pressure, prevents fatigue, and produces hemoglobin in your body. The iron content in Muesli is high, and it is one of the essential nutrients required by your body.
4. Cures constipation
Muesli contains insoluble fibers that improve your bowel movement. If you are suffering from constipation issues, it helps to increase your stool bulk.
5. Good for diabetic people
For diabetic patients, Muesli is a perfect low sugar breakfast alternative. Unsweetened Muesli is great for weight loss and helps to manage blood sugar levels. If consumed with almond milk, it maintains your staple sugar levels.
Nutritional benefits of Muesli for Weight Loss
What are the other muesli benefits?
1. Added to Weight Gain Diet
Muesli cereal can be added to your weight gain diet. If you combine Muesli with seeds, nuts, and dried fruits, it helps your purpose of gaining weight. Healthy calories are added to your diet by consuming nuts and seeds, which contain rich polyunsaturated fats. If you do not like nuts, you can gain calories by adding butter or full cream milk. So, skinny people must consume muesli calories with milk as it is nutritious and healthier than junk food.
2. Go To Food during Pregnancy
Junk food is a strict no-no during pregnancy. Also, a good diet has to be followed for a healthy and sound pregnancy. Muesli diet is a good option for a pregnant woman as it has a high amount of nutrients and minerals. It is an amazing source of fiber and is a healthier snack than many other options available in the market.
3. Healthy Option for Breastfeeding Mothers
After giving birth to a child, the mother needs to have healthy food for breastfeeding. Mothers usually feel lethargic and fatigue and need iron for that reason. Muesli is an excellent iron source and is rich in whole grains, oats, and wheat flakes. Oats also improves milk production in breasts. Thus, it is highly recommended to have Muesli for breastfeeding.
These are the muesli benefits for health. You must try to incorporate Muesli into your routine diet.
We reviewed Yummsy Granola Muesli. Is it worth re-buying? Read On.
Let us see the muesli nutrition
Muesli Nutrition Facts
This food product has originated in Switzerland and has a combination of oats, nuts, and dried fruits. Muesli’s nutritional value is quite high.
A single bowl of muesli contains 300 calories and makes a hearty meal for you.
- Calories: 300
- Protein: 3g
- Fiber: 6g
- Fat: 4g
- Saturated: 1g
- Monosaturated: 2g
- Polyunsaturated: 1g
- Carbohydrate: 66g
- Sugar: 26g
- Sodium: 196gm
- Potassium: 413mg
- Cholesterol: 0mg
So, is muesli healthy?
The answer is a yes.
As already discussed, muesli’s nutritional benefits are a blessing for any individual who wants to stay healthy and hearty.
Comparison of Healthy Cereals
Let us see a breakdown of different cereals in comparison to muesli-
1. Muesli vs Oats
Both are good choices for a healthy and nutritious breakfast.
- Muesli contains many nuts and dry fruits, and these become a huge source of protein, antioxidants, and omega-3 fatty acids.
- Oats do not have the presence of nuts and dry fruits.
- There is no added sugar in oats.
- There are varieties of muesli available in the market where the manufacturers toast it with sugar and oil. Thus, making it unhealthy compared to sugar-free oats.
2. Muesli vs Corn Flakes
These two breakfast options have been relished by people for many years.
To lose weight, you can consume Muesli with milk as it is a healthy option with nuts and dried fruits. So, if you are looking for an answer to ‘Is Muesli the best cereal for Weight Loss?’, then yes it is!
- Muesli contains no added sugar and contains good calories in dry fruits and nuts required by your body.
- The cornflakes are made up of corn, starch, and sugar. These ingredients might help you to gain weight.
Both kinds of cereal can be included in your routine diet based on your body type and preferences.
Which one is better: Muesli or Granola? Know here
3. Corn Flakes Vs Oats
On earth, oats are among the healthiest grains. These are gluten-free and are a high source of vitamins, minerals, fiber, and antioxidants.
- Oats help lower blood sugar levels. It also improves insulin sensitivity.
- Oats may decrease your risk of obesity.
- If you are a diabetic, it is better to avoid corn flakes as it is processed.
- Corn flakes contain sugar, so avoid them if you want to shed those extra kilos.
- However, corn flakes are made up of corn. Corn has a carotenoid known as beta-cryptoxanthin. This helps to maintain lung health and prevents lung cancer.
4. Oats vs Corn Flakes for weight loss
Undoubtedly, oats should be consumed for weight loss as it has no sugar. You will not gain calories by eating oats, whereas corn flakes are made up of sugar and honey, which do not allow you to shed calories.
5. Muesli Vs Oats Vs Corn Flakes
These 3 are great choices for breakfast. Compared to cornflakes, oats and Muesli are healthy. Muesli contains oats and other dry fruits and nuts, making it a perfect healthy meal for any health-conscious individual. Depending on your body type, select your favorite cereal for breakfast.
And you still are not sure ‘Is Muesli Good or Not for Weight Loss,’ you can consult a health expert. For gaining weight, consume corn flakes, and for losing weight, eat Muesli and oats.
Breakfast, being the first meal of the day, makes a lot of difference. For a fitness freak or someone, trying to lose weight, they need to eat the right meal. This article gives you all the information regarding Muesli and answers your question: is Muesli a preferred cereal for weight loss? Besides this, it gives you the difference between oats and Muesli, their benefits, and a comparison between Muesli and cornflakes.