Mother’s Recipe Mom’s Style Upma Review
Balanced flavors and beautifully moist texture, we love the Mother’s Recipe Mom’s Style Upma.
Our reviews are research-based, and all trials and testings are conducted in-house over days and weeks. We have a strict no-free-sample policy to ensure our reviews are fair and impartial.
Upma, uppumavu or uppittu is a quintessential Indian breakfast dish that is loved widely. The fragrance of freshly roasted channa dal, a tempering of curry leaves and mustard seeds is unbeatable. Yes, it is easy to make at home and doesn’t need a lot of time to prepare, but the convenience attached to a premix is always preferred when you’re in a hurry. We reviewed the Mother’s Recipe Mom’s Style Upma for its taste, aroma, and texture. Here is what you need to know.
We reviewed 6 brands and found the most flavourful upma for you. Which one is it?
Table of Contents
Facts About Mother’s Recipe Mom’s Style Upma
*As per information on the pack
- Best before 9 months from the date of manufacturing.
- 100 grams of this product provides 412 Kcal of energy.
- This is a vegetarian product.
#FirstImpression Of Mother’s Recipe Mom’s Style Upma
Price and packaging – The Mother’s Recipe Mom’s Style Upma comes in a green plastic pouch packing. A 170-gram pack is priced at Rs 35/-.
Ingredients – The ingredients include semolina (suji), cottonseed oil, salt, sugar, black gram dal, onion, mustard, green chili, cumin, curry leaf, lemon powder, and asafoetida.
Opening the pack – As you open the pack you get the aroma of mustard and curry leaves. We could see a lot of ingredients mentioned on the pack.
How to make it – We made the upma according to the instructions given on the pack.
- In a vessel boil 2 1/2 cups of water (650 ml) and add 2 Tbsp ghee.
- Add the contents of the pack and bring to a boil.
- Simmer on medium heat for 4-5 minutes or till the upma thickens. Stir continously.
- Stop cooking and garnish with coriander and lemon juice.
Our cooking experience – This upma cooks very well and the instructions given on the pack are easy to follow. Each grain plumps up and the final texture of the upma is perfect.
Upma before cooking
Upma after cooking
Taste – Not all instant mixes are good, and we usually do not get our hopes high. But, we were pleasantly surprised by this upma. The Mother’s Recipe Mom’s Style Upma is delicious, flavorful, and fresh. We could taste almost all the ingredients. The mustard seeds, curry leaves, cumin, and the mild hint of hing (asafoetida) marry each other beautifully and amp up the overall flavor of the upma.
The spice levels are very mild, and kids or people with low chili tolerance can relish a bowl of upma as well. We noticed that this has cottonseed oil, which is marginally better than palm oil, typically used for most packaged, ready-to-eat, and instant foods.
The pack says that it serves three, but we would say that this would be just enough for 2 people. It serves 2 small portions.
If we would have had a side-by-side blind tasting for this upma mix and a fresh homemade upma, it would have been tough to guess that these flavors were coming from a packaged product. The flavors and seasoning are perfectly balanced in this Instant Mix. This can be a great upma mix for your breakfast or can be used as a light evening snack as well.
Team Mishry gives Mother’s Recipe Mom’s Style Upma a thumbs up.
Mother’s Recipe Mom’s Style Upma
The flavors of Mother’s Recipe Mom’s Style Upma are spot on and we love it!
MRP – Rs 35/-*
Net weight – 170 grams
*Price at the time of review
* If you do agree with our review, please give it a thumbs up! And, tell us which one is your favorite from this list. If you don’t, please tell us why!
* Food & Beverage is a constantly evolving segment with new products launched daily. Our endeavor here is to help shoppers buy better. If there’s a product you would like us to review tell us by clicking here.
* Our reviews are unbiased and all samples used during the reviews were paid for by us. Read our entire ethics statement here.
* No part of this review is sponsored by any brand. All expenses were borne by us.