Jimmy’s Cocktail Mix Review – Creating Cocktails Made Easier
We tried two new classic mixes by Jimmy’s Cocktails – Bloody Mary and Margarita. How did they perform on our rating scale? Let’s find out.
Making delicious cocktails consistently is an artform many of us do not master. If you like sipping on cocktails often but do not have the time or patience to collect each item to make that perfect drink, say hello to Jimmy’s Cocktail Mixers.
Earlier we reviewed four variants from Jimmy’s Cocktail and liked them for their vibrant packaging, yummy flavor and the convenience which they provide. They recently launched two new variants – Bloody Mary and Margarita. Our Jimmy’s Cocktail Mixes review reveals the taste and consistency of the mix as it is and its closeness to the original cocktail.
Jimmy’s Cocktail Mixes – Detailed Review
Here is tabular comparison of both the variants of Jimmy’s Cocktails on the line of their price, ingredients, calories and more.
|Price||Rs 99/-||Rs 99/-|
|Available Sizes||250 ml bottle||250 ml bottle|
|Shelf life||12 months||12 months|
|Calories (per 100 ml)||44 Kcal||50.4 Kcal|
|Main ingredients||Water, Tomato paste concentrate (15%), Sugar, Lemon juice concentrate (0.8%), Iodised salt||Water, Sugar, Lemon juice concentrate (1.25%)|
|Buy Now||On Amazon||On Amazon|
Jimmy’s Cocktail Mixes – New Variants We Tried
Jimmy’s Cocktail Mixes – Everything You Need To Know
From the available variants, sizes and main ingredients, here is all that you need to know about Jimmy’s Cocktail mixes.
1. Available Variants
Jimmy’s Cocktails has six variants –
- Bloody Mary
- Whiskey sour
- Sex on the beach
- Mango chilli mojito
2. Available Sizes
All the cocktail mixers are available in 250 ml glass bottles.
3. Main Ingredients
The main ingredients vary from mixer to mixer. While water and tomato paste concentrate are the prime ingredients for a Bloody Mary; Water, sugar and lemon juice concentrate are the main ingredients for the Margarita variant.
Jimmy’s Cocktail Mixes – Our Review Factors
To review the cocktails, we gauged them on the following parameters –
Flavor means a collective experience of what we feel on the taste buds to what we can sense in our nose. How fresh does the cocktail mix taste? Does it have any aftertaste? How about the sugar levels in Margarita? Is it too much? What about the umami flavor in the Bloody Mary? How intense are the savoury notes?
2. Closeness To The Original Cocktail
Did the Bloody Mary have the savoury umami flavor of tomato juice? Any heat from the chilli or worcestershire? Did the Margarita pack in citrusy notes? How close do they taste to the original cocktail?
How thick or thin is the cocktail mix in comparison to the original cocktail?
4. Nutritional Information
Mixers can be unbearably sweet and calorie dense. People who are conscious of their calorie intake are on a constant lookout for low calorie alternatives to fruit juices and colas.
We weren’t looking for any ‘healthy’ ingredients or a protein quotient obviously. We were only looking at the sugar and calorie content. Are these low-cal in comparison to our otherwise sugar loaded fruit juices and carbonated colas?
How well are the cocktails packaged? Is the packaging convenient and attractive?
Are the cocktail mixers value for money? Are they priced competitively?
1. Jimmy’s Cocktails Bloody Mary
What goes in a Bloody Mary? Developed by Fernand Petiot in the 1920s while working at the Harry’s New York Bar in Paris, Bloody Mary is a loved classic. Traditionally a Bloody Mary is made using tomato juice, vodka, worcestershire sauce, lemon, salt, pepper and sometimes even a dash of hot sauce. It is then garnished with celery sticks, dill pickles, chillies and/or olives. This cocktail is served in a highball/Collins glass and the rim is coated with salt and chilli.
What should a Bloody Mary taste like? A Bloody Mary can range anywhere from spicy, tangy, to almost savoury. The umami flavor of tomato seeds is usually prominent. To explain the original flavor of cocktails and what goes in them, we asked seasoned mixologist, owner and founder of Bittersweet Hospitality, Sanchayan Jana. According to him, “A Bloody Mary is a thick cocktail with a good mouthfeel of tomato. It is spicy and tangy. The spicy notes come from black pepper and, overall, this is a very umami cocktail.”
So how close did the one from Jimmy’s come? We made the cocktail as per the instructions given on the bottle. We used vodka as the spirit, as advised.
Jimmy’s Bloody Mary has a sour, tomatoey aroma. As we poured the cocktail in the glass, we noticed that this has a thick consistency. Flavor wise, this has a balance of that worcestershire-like spiciness and the deep savoury, full-bodied flavor of tomatoes. We felt that it lacked that lemon-sourness, but you can add some from the top if you feel the need.
- The price of a 250 ml bottle of Bloody Mary is Rs 99/-.
- This is a red-maroon colored bottle.
- Shake well before use.
- Best before – 12 months from manufacturing date
- Refrigerate after opening and consume within 24 hours.
- Spirit suggestion – Vodka
- Ingredients – Water, Tomato paste concentrate (15%), Sugar, Lemon juice concentrate (0.8%), Iodised salt, Acidity regulator (INS 330, INS 331), Spices and condiments (Red bell pepper, Chilli, Black pepper, Celery, Garlic, Onion), tamarind powder, Antioxidant (ascorbic acid), Stabiliser, Permitted class II preservative (INS 211). Contains added flavors (natural and nature identical flavoring substances)
- Allergen advice – Contains celery
- 100 ml of the beverage provides 44 Kcal of energy, 0 grams of protein and fat. The added sugar content is 5 gm.
- 1 bottle of the cocktail mix yields two portions of cocktails.
- When compared to colas and canned juices, this is a low-calorie beverage.
- The packaging is very vibrant and eye-catching.
- We liked the convenience this cocktail mix provides.
- The full bodied, deep flavor of tomato is nice.
- The cocktail mix is thick, like the original bloody mary.
- The spiciness is balanced.
- The lemony sourness was a tad bit less.
Best Suited For
If you love sipping on cocktails often, these mixers by Jimmy’s are a convenient option. All you need to do is add the spirit and some ice.
2. Jimmy’s Cocktails Margarita Mix
What goes in a Margarita? A classic Margarita consists of tequila, orange liqueur, and lime juice. It is often served with salt on the rim of the glass. These days lots of people experiment with flavors like strawberry, watermelon, mango and more.
What does a Margarita taste like? “Typically, a Margarita has citrus and orange notes on the nose and palate. It’s a dry, clean cocktail with a hint of orange and a bold citrus punch.”, Sanchayan explains.
We made the cocktail as per the instructions given on the bottle. We used vodka as the spirit.
Margaritas are supposed to have citrusy notes and Jimmy’s delivered on that promise. This is a very light drink with a thin consistency. It doesn’t feel too heavy on the palate. Unlike a few cocktail mixers, this isn’t overly sweet either. This is fresh, citrusy, light and dry.
- A 250 ml bottle is priced at Rs 99/-.
- This comes in a lime green colored bottle.
- Shake well before use.
- Best before – 12 months from manufacturer
- Refrigerate after opening and consume within 24 hours.
- Spirit suggestion – Best mixed with vodka/tequila.
- Ingredients – Water, Sugar, Lemon juice concentrate (1.25%), Acidity regulator, Antioxidant (Ascorbic acid), Stabiliser, Iodised salt, Permitted Class II Preservative. Contains permitted natural food color. Contains added flavors (natural or nature identical flavoring substances).
- No artificial flavors or sweeteners.
- 100 ml of the beverage provides 50.4 Kcal of energy, 0 grams of protein and fat. The added sugar content is 12 gm.
- This is a light, refreshing beverage.
- It doesn’t feel too heavy on the palate.
- We liked that this isn’t overly sweet.
- The citrusy punch of the beverage is spot on.
Best Suited For
Like a citrusy, light drink to wind up your day? This one is perfect for you.
Which Flavour Stands Out?
Both. These are two very different cocktails and their flavor profiles are poles apart. People who like a savoury cocktail would love sipping on the Bloody Mary. People who have an inclination towards a light, citrusy beverage would go for the Margarita. They are both super convenient and don’t require a lot of ingredients to nail that classic flavor.
Infact, people who do not want to have alcohol can enjoy them as it is too. Just add some ice and you have a fancy mocktail without any added efforts.
Final Verdict – Jimmy’s Cocktail Mixes
We love the convenience and flavor these bottled cocktail mixes pack in. From the vibrant packaging to the fresh flavors, Jimmy’s Cocktails brings two new classic cocktail mixers that are very close to the original. These don’t contain any alcohol and you can add the spirit as per your choice.
Have you tried any cocktail mixes by Jimmy’s yet? If yes, which one is your favorite?
Frequently Asked Questions
Here are some interesting FAQs on Jimmy’s Cocktail Mixes.
Each 250 ml bottle makes two portions of the mentioned cocktail.
No. Jimmy’s Cocktail Mixes do not contain alcohol.
Cocktails are best consumed chilled. So it is advised to refrigerate them. Once opened, consume within 24 hours.
As per the instructions given on the pack –
Step 1 – Ice it: Fill two glasses with ice.
Step 2 – Spike it: Add 30-60 ml vodka to each. (The spirit may change for every variant).
Step 3 – Jimmy it: Top up with Jimmy’s Cocktails and stir.
While these do not contain alcohol, they aren’t particularly meant for children.
More Reviews Like Jimmy's Cocktail Mixes
* If you do agree with our review, please give it a thumbs up! And, tell us which one is your favorite from this list. If you don’t, please tell us why!
* Food & Beverage is a constantly evolving segment with new products launched daily. Our endeavor here is to help shoppers buy better. If there’s a product you would like us to review tell us by clicking here.
* Our reviews are unbiased and all samples used during the reviews were paid for by us. Read our entire ethics statement here.
* No part of this review is sponsored by any brand. All expenses were borne by us.