Chamomile Tea Health Benefits, Uses And How To Prepare At Home
A cupful of chamomile tea can help you get a relaxing sleep, aid digestion and improve your skin health. Know the benefits, uses and the making process of this soothing beverage.
Chamomile Tea is emerging as one of the most popular beverages among tea lovers across the globe today. There are a lot of benefits of chamomile tea mainly because this beverage doesn’t have any caffeine in it. Chamomile tea is made from dried chamomile flowers that belong to the Asteraceae family. Though this tea has been enjoyed by people for hundreds of years, it is only in the recent past that people have started focusing on the health benefits of drinking chamomile tea. Studies by researchers too have shown the immense benefits of chamomile tea on one’s health, skin and hair. One of the most important reasons for making chamomile tea amongst the healthiest beverages is that its loaded with antioxidants. People drink chamomile tea everyday to also help getting a relaxing sleep and for help in digestion. This soothing beverage can be enjoyed anytime during the day, but its most beneficial closer to bedtime when we it can help to wind down and relax the body after a tiring day.
Watch Precap Of The Amazing Benefits Of Chamomile Tea For Health, Skin And Hair:
Here Are The TOP 8 Benefits Of Drinking Chamomile Tea Everyday
1. Helps Reduce Your Risk To Gastric Inflammation And Indigestion Issues
The extract of the chamomile flowers contains anti-inflammatory properties which relax your gut and keep issues such as diarrhea, stomach ulcers, gastric inflammations and indigestion at bay. They reduce the acid formation in your stomach and stop the growth of bad bacteria that create ulcers. Few studies conducted on rats proved this point.
Though studies on humans have not been conducted so far to prove the link between chamomile tea and digestive health, regular drinkers do agree that this tea has indeed provided them immense relief from gastric issues, bloating, etc.
2. Helps To Keep Blood Sugar Levels Under Control
The anti-inflammatory properties of chamomile tea help to improve the overall health of your pancreas, the organ that produces insulin. Since cell damage to the pancreas is prevented, this refreshing beverage helps to keep your blood sugar levels under control, reduce the fasting sugar levels and prevent alarming increases in your sugar levels immediately after food.
In a recent study, 64 diabetic people were divided into two groups. The first group was asked to drink chamomile tea every day with their meals while the second group was asked to take water with their meals. After 8 weeks, when their blood samples were tested, it was found that the first group of people had considerably lower average blood sugar levels than the first group.
3. Chamomile Tea For Overall Heart Health
One of the major health benefits of chamomile tea is that it reduces your risk to cardiac ailments. Chamomile tea is a good source of an antioxidant known as flavones, an important element that is responsible for keeping your cholesterol and blood pressure levels under control. When these two parameters are taken care of, you can be assured of the overall health of your heart. This is because high blood pressure and high cholesterol are two main reasons that lead to serious ailments such as cardiac arrest and strokes.
4. Chamomile Tea For Staying Relaxed And Sleeping Well
More often than not, irregular sleeping patterns can lead to irritability, exhaustion and in some cases even wight gain and depression. Therefore, it is important to get this problem sorted in the early stages itself. Drinking chamomile tea every day will help you improve the quality of your sleep to a great extent. This is because chamomile tea contains an antioxidant named apigenin, an element that sends messages to your brain to induce sleep. You can tackle insomnia to a great extent when you include this beverage in your daily diet.
In a study that involved postpartum women, the group of women who drank chamomile tea every day reported better sleeping patterns than the group that didn’t. Another study also proved that people who consumed around 270 mg of chamomile extract twice a day for 28 continuous days woke up 33% lesser during the night than people who didn’t drink the extract.
5. Reduces Your Risk To Certain Cancers
The apigenin antioxidant found in chamomile tea has the potential to fight cancer cells and reduce your risk to certain cancers of the breast, uterus, skin, digestive tract and prostate. A study also proved that people who drank chamomile tea 2 to 6 times in a day had lesser chances of being diagnosed with thyroid cancer, than people who didn’t drink this tea.
Also Read: Health Benefits Of Oolong Tea And How To Make Oolong Tea
6. Chamomile Tea Is Great For Your Hair
If you have problems related to dry hair and dandruff, you will benefit immensely from chamomile tea. Drink this tea every day to keep your scalp hydrated and free from dandruff. You can also boil some chamomile leaves in water and allow the tea to steep for 10 minutes. Let the mixture cool down before you strain it and use it all over your hair for a gentle rinse. This will add shine, volume and moisture to your hair.
7. Chamomile Tea Is Great For Your Skin
One of the most common benefits of chamomile tea is that it is great for the overall tone and texture of your skin. It keeps your skin soft, supple and hydrated at all times, thereby delay early signs of ageing like wrinkles, dark circles, fine lines etc. Chamomile is also great to get rid of skin issues like acne, blackheads and sunburns. The antioxidants present in chamomile tea along with its anti-inflammatory properties help to tighten your skin and make it look blemish-free. Soak a cotton ball in chamomile tea and apply it all over your face or over the affected area and leave it on for 10 minutes before you wash off with cold water. Do this regularly to see visible results on your skin.
8. Helps Reduce Stomach Cramps
Women experience severe pain and stomach cramps during their menstrual cycle. Chamomile tea is a great natural remedy, during these times. It soothes your uterus and controls the production of the pain-causing hormone known as prostaglandins, thanks to its antispasmodic properties.
Also Read: Thinking Of Reusing Your Tea Bags? Read This.
9. Prevents Or Slows Down Osteoporosis
Osteoporosis is a condition in which there is a loss in bone density. Because of the loss in bone density, there is an increased risk of stooped posture and broken bones. Chamomile tea works against this condition as it has anti-estrogenic effects.
Side-Effects Of Chamomile Tea
- As long as chamomile tea is not made from high concentration of chamomile, it the safest tea.
- If chamomile tea is made from high levels of chamomile, then it may lead to nausea and vomiting.
- If you are allergic to the plants daisy and aster, you may be allergic to chamomile.
- If you are on medication of blood thinners, then you should not drink chamomile tea, as it is a natural blood thinner.
- Excess consumption of this tea, may lead to anaphylactic shock, severe allergy reactions and contact dermatitis.
How To Make Chamomile Tea Easily
By now, you would have understood the benefits of chamomile tea and how it helps your overall health and immunity. It is only natural that you start including this drink in your daily diet to enjoy these benefits regularly. Here is how you can prepare this tea right in your homes:
- Place 1 tablespoon of dried chamomile flowers (easily available in supermarkets) in an infuser or a chamomile tea bag in a mug.
- Boil the water and switch off the flame as soon as you see bubbles forming on top.
- Pour the boiling water in the mug, in which you have kept the dried chamomile flowers.
- Let the tea steep for 4-5 minutes. This time is enough for the flavors of the tea to get infused into the boiling water.
- Discard the infuser or tea bag.
- You can drink your tea immediately without adding anything extra in it. However, if you like your tea to be sweet, we recommend using honey or natural sweeteners like stevia, for best results.
- During the summers, you can prepare this tea and refrigerate it for an hour before drinking it with a dash of lemon & ginger in it for added flavors.
This drink is very healthy and safe for people of all age groups. You can customize it the way you want, depending on your tastes. This tea is so healthy that it can be given to babies as well. After your baby completes one year, you can give him 15 ml of chamomile tea per day as a natural remedy to control problems related to indigestion, colic and other gastric disorders.
Quick Facts About Chamomile Tea
- Chamomile tea offers its health benefits as long as it is strong.
- Like other herbal remedies, it is not safe for everyone to drink chamomile tea.
- Lot of researchers are interested in benefits of consumption of chamomile tea.
- Chamomile tea is made from the chamomile flower which is dried.
If these benefits of chamomile tea don’t convince you to include it regularly in your diet, we don’t know what will! Rush now to stock your kitchen with a packet of dried chamomile flowers, so that you can enjoy this magical drink, whenever you want, right in your homes.