Benefits Of Eating Garlic On An Empty Stomach
Garlic is a must have ingredient of Indian kitchens. Either you love the pungent flavor of garlic in meals or you hate it’s bad odor in mouth but eating raw garlic is the best way to consume it. Read on to know about the benefits of eating raw garlic in the morning.
Our reviews are research-based, and all trials and testings are conducted in-house over days and weeks. We have a strict no-free-sample policy to ensure our reviews are fair and impartial.
Garlic, lahsun or Allium sativum is commonly found in our kitchen pantry. Apart from enhancing the flavor in dishes, this pungent herb is used as a miracle cure in many ailments due to its immense garlic benefits. It has the highest sulfur content than other allium spices such as spring onion and leeks. Garlic contains protein, selenium, copper, iron, polyphenols, amino acids, and Vitamins.
A Phytonutrient, Allicin is found in an admirable amount that is the star component of raw garlic. It gets activated after the crushing or chopping and is known to be at its peak for roughly 10 minutes. Let’s discuss the benefits of eating raw garlic in an empty stomach, how to eat raw garlic and it’s side effects.
Table of Contents
Benefits Of Eating Raw Garlic On Empty Stomach
Here are few amazing reasons to eat raw garlic on an empty stomach.
1. Helpful In Weight Loss
Eating raw garlic for weight loss may be more effective on an empty stomach. Garlic stimulates digestion and helps in expelling toxins from the body which further enhances our metabolism for reducing weight. Garlic gives the feeling of fullness, acts as a hunger suppressor, and prevents the intake of unnecessary calories.
A study published in the Journal Of Nutrition shows that there is a connection between garlic and fat burning. You can also start drinking garlic water if you can’t eat the raw garlic.
Also Read : How To Use Garlic For Weight Loss?
2. Aids Digestion
A good day starts with healthy digestion! Garlic is rich in insoluble fiber thus, fresh garlic intake on an empty stomach can make our digestion smooth as well as healthy. Garlic balances the microorganisms in the digestive system and assists the good bacteria in the digestive system. Garlic improves appetite and gut health. Furthermore, it’s quite effective for stomach problems like diarrhea.
According to The complete book of Ayurvedic home remedies, “ Fresh garlic is one of the best remedies to treat indigestion. Chop up a clove of fresh garlic, add a pinch of salt and baking soda to eat it.” States the book.
3. Detoxifies The Body
Eating garlic in the morning can detoxify your body. Garlic contains Selenium, a mineral that detoxifies the liver through activating the liver detox enzymes. These enzymes support the liver in breaking down the toxins and flushing out from the body.
A component called Allicin found in fresh garlic can kill the unwanted organisms in your intestines that forms harmful toxins in our gastrointestinal tract. Additionally, the sulfur components of fresh garlic enhance liver health.
4. Can Prevent Illness
Most of us love using garlic as a home remedy for minor diseases, but did you know that garlic has 39 antibacterial agents that help combat illness? The harmful bacteria can’t survive against the powerful healing components of garlic when you eat raw garlic on an empty stomach. Garlic can remove the germs that can cause food poisoning. However, fresh food and hygiene is always recommended.
Additionally, garlic contains natural antibiotics and antiviral properties which helps in keeping infections at bay. Common cough and cold can be prevented with garlic on an empty stomach.
5. May Maintain Blood Sugar
Garlic is widely used for curing diabetes. Allicin, is known for lowering the blood sugar, which is abundantly found in fresh crushed garlic. Allicin is beneficial in improving insulin sensitivity and its secretion in diabetic conditions. Furthermore, garlic reduces the chances of atherosclerosis.
A diabetic person is more prone to atherosclerosis-related inflammation. Vitamin B-6 and Vitamin C present in garlic also help in reducing the blood pressure.
Out of garlic powder? Try these garlic powder substitutes.
6. Can Combat Hypertension
Dietary changes are crucial during high blood pressure as a preventive measure. Garlic is an efficient blood thinner that controls high blood pressure and cholesterol levels. The sulfur components of garlic such as Allicin, Diallylalisulfide, and Diallyltrisulfide are helpful in regulating the blood pressure. That’s why garlic is often suggested to the patients of hypertension.
According to an article published in Journal lipids in health and disease, “ Chewing garlic is more beneficial to heart health than swallow. “Benefits of raw garlic for a healthy heart is appreciable if eaten empty stomach.
7. Improves The Sleep And Mood
If you face trouble falling asleep or stabilizing your mood throughout the day, then a fresh pod of garlic can help you! Garlic has Vitamin B6 that strengthens the immune system, which further enhances the relaxation and sleep quality. It balances the brain’s chemicals and battles with anxiety, depression, and insomnia.
The Chemistry Of Joy, A Book by Dr.Henry Emmones states that” Garlic can enhance the production of the serotonin-a brain neurotransmitter, or brain chemical responsible for signal transmission and mood regulator so eat raw garlic in the morning for good night’s sleep!
8. May Ward Off Cancer
Being enriched with anti-inflammatory, antibiotic, and anti-carcinogen properties, fresh garlic can cure and prevent certain types of cancers. Ajoene, a sulfur compound, present in garlic, may prevent muscle atrophy ( muscle wasting) in cancer patients. Therefore, garlic reduces inflammation and acts as a tumor suppressor. However, most of the studies are done either on animals or in the lab, but still, the garlic benefits are promising.
How To Eat Garlic?
Generally, people consume garlic after cooking it and most of us are not aware that eating raw garlic is best to consume for availing maximum benefits. A high amount of Allicin is found in chopped, crushed, or chewed garlic, which starts diminishing with the time and destroyed after cooking. However, chewing garlic on an empty stomach is not an easy task.
You can choose some other ways to consume garlic on an empty stomach.
- Fresh garlic can be swallowed with water if eating garlic empty stomach is not your thing! Even though swallowing garlic is not effective as chewing, but still better than the cooked one. It’s advised to drink lots of water for the whole day.
- You can make garlic drink. Don’t know how to make garlic water? Take a saucepan, put 5 cloves of garlic in 3 cups of water and bring it to a boil. Add 10 ml of honey and 1 lemon juice in it to reap the benefits of garlic water.
- You can eat raw garlic by using it as a topping over your salad, soup or juice.
- The fresh garlic can be sautéed with butter or olive oil with a little bit of salt.
- If you can’t handle the strong flavor of garlic on an empty stomach then you can eat raw garlic in the form of slices over the sambar and chutney with dosa.
Selection And Storage Of Garlic
- We must always pick fresh garlic over-aged and yellow garlic, as it’s easy to digest.
- Garlic shouldn’t be soft, with some decay or sprouts in it.
- Always refrigerate the rest of the pod after peeling the head off the garlic pod.
- Store garlic in a cool and dark place to prevent sprouting and losing its freshness.
- Garlic can be stored for 2 weeks to 2 months depending on their size and type.
Side-Effects Of Eating Raw Garlic On Empty Stomach
- The most prominent drawback of eating raw garlic is the bad breath thanks to its high amount of sulfur compounds. You can remove the inner green part of the garlic which is responsible for bad breath or you can eat parsley after eating garlic as a natural breath freshener.
- High intake of garlic can lead to heartburn, indigestion, irritation in the digestive tract, burning sensation in the mouth, upper abdomen, and chest.
- You must avoid eating raw garlic if you are allergic to birch pollen. The signs of this allergy are hives, facial swelling, breathing difficulty and nonallergic or garlic sensitivity signs are gas, bloating, gastrointestinal discomfort.
- Extra care must be taken during pregnancy before eating raw garlic. It’s better to consult the doctor about the use or dosage. Garlic has an anti-thrombotic effect hence, the consumption of garlic must be discontinued seven days prior to surgery during pregnancy and avoid the use of fresh garlic three weeks prior to the due date to reduce the increased risk of bleeding.
- People suffering from Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GRI) must avoid eating raw garlic.
- Raw garlic should be avoided in case of fructans intolerance.
- Avoid the high amount of raw garlic during irritable bowel syndrome (IBS)
Frequently Asked Questions
After discussing a long list of benefits garlic offers, here we have answered a few interesting FAQs asked by our readers.
1. Is it Healthy to Eat Garlic on an Empty Stomach?
Yes. Some studies show that eating garlic on an empty stomach helps in weight loss and improves stomach health. In addition to it, it detoxifies our body and prevents illness. Along with it, it also improves sleep and mood.
2. What are the Side Effects of Eating Raw Garlic?
Bad breath is one of the prominent side effects. Other than that, high amounts of garlic can cause heartburn, symptoms of GERD, indigestion, bloating, etc.
It is best to consult your physician before making any change in your daily lifestyle.
3. Does Eating Garlic on an Empty Stomach Help in Weight loss?
Consuming garlic on an empty stomach stimulates digestion and further enhances the weight loss process by improving metabolism. Garlic gives a feeling of fullness, and thus prevents the intake of unnecessary calories, and acts as a hunger suppressant.
4. Which is the best Time for Eating Garlic?
The best time to consume garlic is in the early morning before one hour of breakfast. This helps in preventing and curing different diseases as it acts like antibiotics.
5. Is Eating Garlic Beneficial for the Skin?
Eating garlic is effective in improving skin health. Allicin present in garlic improves blood circulation and reduces inflammation, resulting in the betterment of skin health.
Garlic is known for enhancing the taste in cooking and powerful medicinal properties. It has an exceptional amount of sulfur, which makes it effective for several health issues. From indigestion to diabetes, it can tackle various diseases, but eating raw garlic on an empty stomach can even multiply its benefits!
The main component of garlic, allicin forms after the crushing or chewing, which is highly beneficial for health. Swallowing garlic or drinking garlic water also has significant benefits than the cooked garlic. You can also have garlic in the morning as a topping for your breakfast, but the benefits of eating raw garlic in an empty stomach are simply unbeatable!