Summer Vegetables Names That Must Be Included In Your Diet
In this article, you can find the summer vegetable names and their health benefits. One will understand the importance of consuming summer vegetables after reading this article. All their culinary usages are also mentioned here.
Our reviews are research-based, and all trials and testings are conducted in-house over days and weeks. We have a strict no-free-sample policy to ensure our reviews are fair and impartial.
Every year we enjoy different seasons. Every season has its glory. In summer, we can enjoy the sun. During winter, the cold breeze thrills, and in spring, the natural sights are to die for. Our bodies need to adapt to the seasonal change every year, or we will get sick. Interestingly, nature provides us all the required elements that can help us adapt to the changing weather.
There are seasonal fruits vegetables in India that are packed with rich nutrients that can aid us in seasonal changes. In this article, some of the most popular summer vegetables names are mentioned, along with their health benefits.
All these vegetables are very beneficial for our health, which helps us survive the heat of summer.
Table of Contents
What are seasonal vegetables?
Seasonal changes affect the growth of different vegetables. Certain vegetables only grow during winter. Some vegetables need heat to grow, so they grow during summer. All these vegetables help us to survive the seasonal change.
The different seasonal vegetables list is given below:
1. Winter vegetable names
During winter, the temperature drops down. As a result, we feel cold. Cold, caught, fever, and flu are some of the common diseases during winter. We need to enhance our immunity to fight these diseases. Winter vegetables provide us all the nutrients that balance our body temperature and keep us away from diseases.
Some of the most popular winter vegetable list is
- Winter squash
This winter, don’t forget to include these green veggies in your diet.
2. Monsoon vegetable names
During monsoon, heavy rain gives birth to several infections. We are at a high risk of getting affected by water-borne diseases. We need to take special care of our health during the monsoon. All the monsoon vegetables and fruits boost our immunity and help us to survive the rain.
The names of the most popular monsoon vegetables are;
- Sweet potatoes
- Brussel sprout
We curated a list of rainy season vegetables in India so that you can indulge in it this monsoon.
3. Summer vegetables names
During summer, because of the heat, we lose our appetite. That is why we prefer light food items during the summer. Also, we need to consume a lot of water during the summer to keep us hydrated. We sweat a lot during summer, and thus we lose most of our body water. To maintain balance, we must consume a lot of fruits and vegetables that contain water. Vegetables of summer also have a cooling effect on our body, which helps us fight the heat.
Some of the summer vegetable names are mentioned below:
- Bell peppers
- Green beans
- Green peas
- Bitter gourd
- Bottle gourd
- Green leafy vegetables
These are all vegetables that are abundantly grown in the three major seasons. Some vegetables are grown all around the year, like potatoes, carrots, and some others. All these vegetables are delicious and healthy. So, one must consume a lot of vegetables daily and stay fit and healthy.
15 Healthiest Vegetables to Lose Weight
What are the summer vegetable names that we must include in our diet plan?
Summer is more enjoyable with its different tasty summer vegetables in India. We are spoiled with choices during the summer season. All the vegetables are tasty and healthy. They keep our body cool and provide us the necessary nutrients. If we do not consume enough vegetables, we may feel sick and weak.
Consuming the required amount of vegetables is very important to keep our bodies hydrated and fit. Some of the most popular summer vegetable names are given below that you must include in your diet.
Cucumber is one of the most popular summer vegetable names all around the world. They are very versatile and nutritious. Most of us eat raw cucumbers in the form of salads or beverages. Many types of cucumbers are added to several culinary dishes.
Benefits of eating cucumber during summertime
- Cucumbers are mostly made of water (almost 96%). So it keeps us hydrated. That is why eating cucumber during summer is great for our health.
- Cucumbers have antioxidants. These are great for our health.
- Vitamin C and vitamin K can be found in cucumbers in large quantities. Both of them keep us healthy.
Some consider tomatoes fruit and some as vegetables of the summer season. In India, tomatoes are mostly considered vegetables. Be it a fruit or a vegetable, tomatoes are an integral part of our diet. We can eat raw tomatoes as salads, or drink tomato juice too.
We can also use tomato sauce and put tomatoes in different dishes. They add a sweet and tangy flavor to our recipes. Tomatoes are one of the best vegetables grown in the summer season as they help us combat the summer heat.
Benefits of eating tomatoes during summertime
- 90% to 95% of a tomato is made of water. So, they help us to stay hydrated.
- Antioxidants like lycopene can be found in tomatoes. They help us to stay fit.
- Tomatoes also have a high quantity of vitamin K, vitamin C, calcium, and potassium. Those are good for our eyes, hair, bone health, gut, heart, and kidneys.
3. Bottle gourd
Bottle gourds are more popularly known as Lauki, one of the most prominent summer vegetable names. These gourds are one of the best Indian summer vegetables in the kingdom vegetables because of their nutritional benefits and taste. You can keep it for a long time in the fridge; it won’t rot easily. Lauki is used in several culinary dishes. People also drink the raw juice of Lauki for its amazing health benefits.
Benefits of eating bottle gourd during summertime
- These gourds have rich calcium which improves our bone density and strengthens our nervous system.
- They also have a high quantity of water. As s result, they keep us hydrated during summer and provide us all the necessary nutrients.
- It is also used to heal stomach issues.
- Lauki reduces the cholesterol level in the blood and regulates our blood sugar.
Eggplant or brinjals must be mentioned in the list of summer vegetables in India. They have different tastes. Mostly we use them as a side dish. We can add several spices to it to make it tastier.
Benefits of eating brinjals during summertime
- They are very rich in fiber, which makes them great for our gut health.
- They also have several flavonoids. It keeps us protected from viruses and unhealthy infections.
- Vitamins, potassium, calcium, and other healthy substances can be found in brinjal, which is great for our health.
Pumpkins are a very popular vegetable in summer all over the world. There are also forty varieties of pumpkins. This vegetable has a sweet taste and can be consumed as a side dish with chapatis. Several desserts like pumpkin kheer can also be made using this vegetable. Pumpkin juice is also good for our health.
Benefits of eating pumpkin during summertime
- Pumpkins are rich in vitamin A. vitamin A is found in only a few vegetables. Pumpkins are one of them. They boost up our immune system and fight severe diseases.
- Antioxidants and beta-carotene, which are found in pumpkin, keep our hearts healthy.
- Pumpkin also regulates our body temperature and keeps us cool during summer days.
6. Bitter gourd
As the name reflects, this vegetable is really bitter. That is why people do not like them, among other summer vegetable names. But we must consume bitter gourds because of its numerous health benefits. It’s more like drinking black coffee.
When you acquire the taste, you love it. Bitter gourds are great for our gut health. It has been used for centuries to cure stomach-related issues. Bitter gourd can be used in several dishes or can be drunk as a juice.
Benefits of eating bitter gourd during summertime
- It is load with rich nutrients like iron, potassium, calcium, and vitamin C.
- They are great for our digestion
- They maintain the sugar level in the blood and also control our blood pressure.
- Bitter gourds also help us in surviving hot weather.
7. Green leafy vegetables
There are numerous leafy Indian summer vegetables which are great for our health, especially during summer days. Amaranth, spinach, mint, are some of the examples of green leafy summer vegetable names. They bring variety to your kitchen. You can blend them all and drink them as juice. One can also use them in different recipes like soups, parathas, salads, and others.
Benefits of eating green leafy vegetables during summertime
- They are a great source of minerals. All of them have iron and calcium. Both of these are great for our bone health.
- All these green vegetables have a high quantity of water. So, they keep us hydrated during the summer.
- They have a rich amount of folates.
- They are very light on our stomachs.
Pepper is one of the most loved vegetables among other summer vegetable names. We have different colored capsicums. Among them, green capsicum is the most used one. We also have red and yellow capsicums. They can be used in all dishes. Peppers spice up your food and add a distinct flavor to it. They are not only about taste; peppers also have many health benefits.
Benefits of eating peppers during summertime
Peppers have a rich amount of capsaicin. It is a type of phytochemical. From this element, peppers got their name ‘capsicum’. This element gives pepper its distinct spicy flavor. There are numerous health benefits of phytochemicals.
- It helps in weight loss.
- Improves our metabolism.
- Enhances our digestion.
- It also acts as a pain reliever.
- Peppers are also rich in antioxidants and vitamins, which make them an essential vegetable in our diet chart.
List of Exotic Vegetables – Uses & Benefits that will shock you!!!
9. Green beans
Green beans are used abundantly in culinary dishes during the summer season. One can boil them or simply stir-fry beans and add them to their dish. Beans can also be consumed raw. This is one of the summer vegetables that are very low in calories, making it a great diet if you are trying to lose weight fast. Green beans can be found in the market, especially during the summer season though beans are harvested throughout the year. So it is an all-season vegetable.
Benefits of eating green beans during summertime
- Green beans make a great light diet, which is very healthy during summer.
- Beans have a rich amount of fiber. They are great for our digestion.
- We can find vitamin K in beans, which is very good for our bone health. Vitamin K increases our bone density and makes them strong.
- Beans are also packed with iron, protein, antioxidants, and zinc. All of these are great for our health and help us to stay fit.
Carrots are one of the great summer vegetable names. Though this vegetable plantation is done throughout the year, carrots can be found in the market abundantly during summer. Carrots are packed with rich nutrients, which are very important for our bodies.
Consuming raw carrot juice is very good for our health and especially for our eyes. We can add them to several dishes. They can be boiled, roasted, stir-fried. Carrots are even consumed as salads.
Benefits of eating carrots during summertime
- Carrots are rich in beta-carotene.
- Carrots have a high quantity of vitamin A which is very beneficial for our eyes.
- The fiber quantity makes carrots a light diet, which is great during summer days.
- Carrots also have magnesium, vitamin B6, antioxidants, and folic acid. All of these have great effects on our bodies.
So, these are some of the most popular vegetables that grow during summer.
What are the health benefits of eating summer vegetables?
As mentioned above, vegetables in summer bring taste and variety to our summer special dishes. We can find a lot of vegetables that especially grow during summer. In general, all vegetables have numerous health benefits. Summer vegetables are no exception. They give us the required energy boost and strengthen our immunity.
All the vegetables aid us in staying fit during seasonal changes. Above, all the best summer vegetable names are mentioned. Now, we will discuss the health benefits of summer vegetables in general.
1. Keeps our body cool
To fight the heat of the sun during summer days, our bodies must stay cool. All the summer vegetables keep our body temperature low so that we do not suffer from excessive heat.
2. Keeps our body hydrated
All the mentioned summer vegetables are 70% to 90% made of water. This water maintains our body fluid levels. During summer we sweat a lot and lose our body water. So, we must consume a lot of summer vegetables to stay hydrated.
All You Need To Know To Buy The Best Electric Vegetable Chopper and Manual Vegetable Chopper In India
3. Boosts our immunity
All types of vegetables enhance our immune system. They make us strong and let our bodies adapt to seasonal changes. Protects us from diseases.
As mentioned above, nature itself provides us aids for survival. Excessive heat can cause severe damages to our heath like sunstroke, dehydration, sunburns, and others. If we consume all the summer fruits, we will be safe from these diseases.
4. Good for our overall health
All the vitamins and nutrients present in the vegetables are great for our overall health. For example, Vitamin A is great for our eyes, and Vitamin C benefits our skin and hair. Beta-carotene and antioxidants are helpful for our gut, kidney, and heart.
5. Regulates our blood pressure and blood sugar
Summer vegetables have a rich amount of antioxidants. They keep our blood sugar in control and maintain our blood pressure. Antioxidants also help us in our digestion and increase our metabolism rate.
6. Helps us to lose weight
Summer is the perfect time to start a diet plan. If you are thinking of following a diet chart, you must include all the summer vegetables in it. They are rich in fiber, which helps you to lose extra weight.
7. Rich in vitamin and other nutrients
Every vegetable is packed with rich nutrients. They contain all the vitamins, proteins, antioxidants, fibers, iron, zinc, and all other necessary elements.
We Had Fun In The Kitchen With This Vegetable Spiralizer
So, these are all the health benefits that we get from summer season vegetables. All the above-mentioned summer vegetable names must be included in your diet. So make a habit of eating lots of vegetables daily and enjoy great health.
Frequently Asked Questions
Here we have answered a few interesting FAQs about summer vegetables.
Mint, spinach, chili, tomato, and lemons are a few of the vegetables which are easy to grow even at home.
Sweetcorn, eggplants, carrots, cauliflower and cereals are a few of the vegetables that are difficult to grow as they are hard to maintain and susceptible to bugs.
Vegetables like asparagus, tropical yams, artichoke, sweet potatoes, etc., take a longer time to grow.
Summer crops in India are:
- Bell peppers
- Green beans
- Bitter gourd
- Bottle gourd
- Green leafy vegetables