Dried Mango: Nutrition Facts, Health Benefits & Side Effects
Want to know about the dried mango nutrients? All about the health benefits of dried mango, the side effects and how to dry mango at home.
There is hardly going to be a person who is not a fan of delicious and juicy mangoes. Whether it is a fresh mango, a mango drink or a dried one, they will enjoy it equally, and each time they are going to have it. Apart from being delicious fruit, it is a powerhouse of nutrients and minerals.
Mangoes benefit us in many ways from aiding stomach related issue to improving cardiac health. The benefits of dried mango are many.There are many types of mangoes available in the market, each having its known aroma, tastes and benefits.
Here in this article, we will not talk about the fresh mangoes, but the dried mango nutrients, dried mango benefits and some other necessary information. So, let us begin with knowing the dried mango nutritional values so that you can know how much you should consume.
Also read : The 10 benefits of mango leaves!
If you like eating dried mangoes, here some details on dried mango nutrition you need to know.
The nutrition facts of dried mango given below are according to four slices of dried mango.
|1.||Calories||In each serving, there are 134 calories.|
|2.||Fats||Total fat – 0.5 gram
Saturated fat – 0.1 gram
Trans fat – 0 gram
Polyunsaturated fat – 0.1 gram
Monounsaturated fat – 0.2 gram
|12.||Dietary Fiber||1 gram|
Consuming 42 grams of dried mangoes can give you the above and it is because of dried mango nutrients that it is considered one of the best dried fruits to add to your diet. It will help you deal with your sweet cravings without harming or causing you to gain weight.
You can either dry the mangoes at home on your own or buy a pack of dehydrated mangoes from the market. But, make sure that you are buying them from a reliable seller to be sure about the product’s quality. Also, don’t worry about the cost because you can get them at a reasonable price.
Is Dried Mango Good For You – Know the Benefits
Dehydrated mangoes are good for health because of their impressive nutritional facts. Some of the health benefits of dried mango have been mentioned below.
1. Good Source of Iron
- As the dried mangoes are a good source of iron, it is highly recommended to pregnant women and people suffering from anemia. They are advised to have it regularly in the right quantity.
2. Combat Acidity
- People who suffer from acidity should also have at least one serving of dried mangoes every day. It helps in combating acidity, along with helping you in improving your digestive health. It is an excellent dried fruit for the stomach, and people with stomach issues should try to add it to their diets.
3. Rich in Vitamins
- The best thing about the dry mangoes is that they are a rich source of Vitamin A and Vitamin E. People who eat it daily in moderate quantities can benefit from this as it can help our hormonal system function correctly and efficiently.
4. Contains Selenium
- Only a few people know that mango also contains selenium, which helps in protecting people from various heart-related issues. Those already suffering from heart disease can add this amazing dry fruit to their diet.
5. Loaded with Antioxidants
- Apart from giving you various health benefits,dried mango benefits your skin as well. If you look closely into dried mango nutrients, you will find that it involves a few active ingredients and antioxidants that help you with soothing inflammation on your skin, improves regrowth, and reduces the chances of early ageing.
- If you are taking it in the right quantity, it will also help you minimize the blemishes and age spots and improve the elasticity to make you look younger for a long time.
Dry mango can be beneficial for your health if taken in moderate quantities.
6. Source of Dietary Fiber
- Is dried mango healthy? Yes, it is. As it is also a good source of dietary fiber and carbohydrates, you don’t have to worry about your weight anymore. It is because it is good at quickly satisfying your appetite and makes you feel full for a while. Also, be sure about the quantity because it is still a high-calorie fruit.
- As we talk about the dried mango nutrients, it is a source of dietary fibers that stimulates peristaltic motion and reduces constipation. It also helps in balancing the level of bacteria in your gut. So, it is good to have mango dried and added in your diet.
7. Boost Bone Density
- The assorted minerals and vitamins present in dry mangoes are good at boosting the bone mineral density in your body and lessen your risk of suffering from osteoporosis as you age eventually. And this shows that dry mango benefits are just amazing.
8. Improves Eyesight
- If you have dry mangoes regularly, it is going to help you in improving your eyesight. It is because this dried fruit has a decent amount of beta-carotene in it, which is an antioxidant that reduces macular degeneration and slows the onset of cataract.
9. Combats Skin Related Issues
- The dry mangoes are also going to help you treat acne, burns, and eczema, along with some other skin-related issues because of the presence of vitamin A in it. It has turned out to be a good friend to most skin types, and you can trust it when it comes to treating your skin issues.
The last reason that dry mangoes are good for you is that they are yummy and always succeed in satisfying your taste buds. So basically, the dried mango nutrients are not only benefiting your health and skin, but they also please your taste buds every time you are eating a dry mango.
You will also like it because it can be eaten as a healthy snack and can be added to various food items to enhance the taste. Therefore, don’t wait anymore and fill your kitchen with the best quality dry mangoes.
How To Dry Mangoes At Home?
Drying mangoes at home is an easy process.
It is simple to dry mangoes at home and enjoy dried mango health benefits for a long time. Just follow the steps mentioned below carefully.
Step 1: Wash And Peel
- Wash the mangoes under the running water to clean them thoroughly.
- You are then going to peel the skin of the mangoes with a peeler or a knife.
Step 2: Slice The Mango
- Once the skin is off, cut the mango into equal slices so that the drying process becomes simple.
Step 3: Preheat The Oven
- As you are cutting the mango into slices, preheat your oven to the lowest temperature and place a silicone mat or parchment paper on a baking sheet.
Step 4: Put The Slice In Tray
- As the oven is hot and the mango is turned into slices, lay the slices on the mat and make sure that they are not touching or overlapping each other.
Step 5: Put The Tray Into The Oven
- Now put the tray into the oven and let the slices turn dry within 2-3 hours. Make sure that you are flipping the slices every 30 minutes to dry them equally from all the sides.
- Do not overcook the slices as they will turn into mango chips instead of dry mangoes.
Step 6: Let Them Cool
- Once you think that the slices are dry, turn off the oven and let the batch cool down for 5-10 minutes.
You can then store the slices in an airtight container or glass jar and enjoy the dried mangos every now and then. One more thing you need to keep in mind is that these mango slices are preservative-free, so you need to finish them as soon as possible to prevent mold formation.
Also, make sure that you store them in a cool and dry place to increase their shelf life. Keep away from humid atmosphere for durability. Alternatively, you can also use a food dehydrator or microwave if you do not have an oven. If you want, you can also go all-natural and let the sunlight help you dry down the mango slices. Though it will take you more time than a microwave, oven, or a food dehydrator.
Are There Any Side-Effects Of Dried Mangoes?
Now that we know about the benefits of dried mango, the section below throws highlight on the possible side effects of dried mango. Dried mango may have a few side effects
Though the dried mango nutrients information is impressive, this dry fruit may have a few side-effects.
1 Increase Glucose Level
- If we talk about any short-term side effects of dry mangoes, it can increase your body’s glucose level. This means you need to be careful about the amount of dry mango you are consuming.
2 Weight Gain
- If we talk about the long-term side-effects of the dry mangoes, some people might gain weight if they do not pay attention to the amount of dry mango they are consuming. Dried mango nutrients are indeed helpful, but if taken in excessive amounts, it can harm you as well.
- Check for allergic reactions before consumption. Some people may be allergic to the components of a dried mango.
We are so obsessed with mangoes, that we forgot about the leaves. Mango leaves are a mine of health benefits that most of us are clueless about. Read on to know more!
Frequently Asked Questions
Here are some interesting questions on dried mangoes.
The fiber and pectin content in dried mangoes lowers bad cholesterol while enhancing good cholesterol. But we recommend monitored consumption.
Vitamins C, A, minerals like folate, and fiber are found in mangoes. From digestion to prevention of colon cancer, this luscious fruit has benefits.
Yes, mangoes are anti-inflammatory as they have compounds called polyphenols.
Unopened dried mango will stay good for 6-12 months.
In the above article, we have covered valuable information on the benefits and possible side effects of dried mango. Though the taste and feel of fresh mango is unbeatable, dried mango is also a must try for all mango lovers.