Is Hard Anodized Cookware Safe? What You Should Know!
Is hard anodized cookware safe? In this article we will discuss the various pros and cons of hard anodized cookware.
The market is flooded with a massive variety of pots and pans made with different materials. It can become difficult to compare the durability, aesthetics, budget, and maintenance of various pots and pans. We all want to buy the best that is also a healthy option to cook in. It is important to gain knowledge about materials that are safe to use for cooking, their durability and cost effectiveness. Most commonly used material for making utensils is aluminum because it is light weight and is cheap in comparison to the other materials.
However, there is a common problem with aluminum utensils. Aluminum leaches into the food that can cause numerous side-effects. The important question is that is hard anodized cookware safe? If yes, what makes this cookware safe? Hard-anodized aluminum has some electro chemical process that makes it safe to use. It is also an undeniable fact that hard anodized cookware has innumerable advantages. Let’s find out more about hard anodized cookware –
How Is Hard Anodized Cookware Made?
From the last few years, hard anodized cookware has become a prominent choice across the world. It is durable, as well as lightweight. There is a process to make hard-anodized cookware known as an electrochemical process. This process makes the aluminum even harder than stainless steel. When you place the aluminum in the air, then it gets anodized. After the oxidation, a thin layer is formed. This thin layer is made up of aluminum oxide which gives protection to the aluminum from further oxidation.
After this, a chemical immersion is done to make the layer of aluminum oxide thick. After a chemical bath, current is applied to the utensil to further harden the surface and makes the aluminum non-reactive. This also helps to make the utensil rust resistant and scratch resistant.
Related Read : Top 4 Hard Anodized Tawa Reviews: Pick the Best One For Your Kitchen.
Is Hard Anodized Cookware Safe For Cooking?
Most of us are dealing with the question that is hard anodized cookware safe? To simply answer this – Yes! Hard anodized cookware is safe to use. Cookware that is made from high grade anodized aluminum is perfectly safe for cooking. The hard coating on top of the aluminum acts as a barrier between food and the base metal. So you do not need to worry about leaching. Many popular and commonly available brands have a wide range of hard anodized aluminum utensils ranging from woks to saucepans to pressure cookers.
Is Hard Anodized Cookware Reactive?
The next question stuck in mind after the Is Hard Anodized Cookware safe and is it reactive? The answer is that no. Hard-Anodized Cookware is non-reactive, but plain aluminum is reactive. After the electro-chemical process, the thick layer is formed. This layer does not make direct contact of food with the aluminum layer. In short, it acts as a protective layer. Due to it, you can cook numerous ingredients, especially acidic, like tomato sauce, soy sauce, and many more. The taste will not be changed due to the property of non-reactivity.
Pros of Anodized Aluminum Cookware
As everything comes with some benefits, it comes with pros too. Here is the list of advantages of anodized aluminum cookware. It also clears the doubt about is hard anodized cookware safe.
- It is one of the best heat conductors as well as spreads equally heat. Due to its food will be evenly cooked.
- It is twice to thrice time stronger than the stainless steel. Therefore, it is one of the most durable cookware.
- The coating of hard anodized cookware is not like the peel-off coating. It cannot be peel off like others.
- It has a non-stick coating. It works as a barrier to prevent food from sticking.
- It is easy to use, handle as well as lightweight. These teenagers do not face any trouble while cooking. Even the person who is suffering from arthritis can cook the food on it.
- Hard anodized cookware has longer life as compared to other non-stick. Therefore, it is a one-time investment.
- There is numerous hard anodized cookware that does not use PFOA. So you can say that those are non-toxic.
- If you can compare the price of cookware, then you will find hard anodized cookware is cheaper.
- As it is non-reactive to food, that means it is easy to clean. You do not need to struggle about cleaning.
- It is safer than an oven or any kitchen equipment.
The advantages, as mentioned above, reveal the answer to the question is hard anodized cookware safe. Therefore, it is better to spend the prestigious money on the right product. In addition to it, you can easily buy this type of cookware, either online or offline.
Cons of Anodized Aluminum Cookware
If the hard-anodized aluminum has some pros, it also has some disadvantages. Here is the list of cons of anodized aluminum.
- You cannot cook the food on it with a high flame.
- It requires high maintenance. If you want it to have a longer lifespan, then maintain it accurately as well as carefully.
- This type of hard anodized cookware does not go well with induction. So it is not the safe induction cookware.
- Plain aluminum can leach into food and cause numerous health side effects.
- You cannot clean the hard-anodized cookware with a dishwasher. It may damage the surface of the nonstick.
- You cannot use any cooking spray over it. This is not safe.
- Chemical costing on the cookware is a little bit heavy.
Is Aluminum Cookware Safe For Cooking Food?
Plain aluminum utensils can leach into the food which is not good for health. Numerous food materials are categorized as acidic food. These include sauces such as tomato sauce, tart sauces and many more. If you cook acidic food on it, then it will rapidly leach into your food. In addition to it, if you store the cooked food in it, then it will also be harmful.
As aluminum is not absorbent, even if the hard-Anodized pan has some scratches, leaching will be in negligent amount. Hence it is safe for food and does not deteriorate the quality of food. You can cook the food on it.
Health Risk Of Aluminum Leaching
There is little health risk of cooking food in hard-anodized aluminum cookware. As aluminum can leach into the food, it is advised to look into the quantities before using it regularly. Approximately 7 milligrams of aluminum in food is not detrimental. But the excess amount causes numerous diseases or maybe poisonous for the person. Here is the list of conditions that leaching of aluminum causes. The person who is suffering from chronic renal failure can not digest the aluminum in food. Do not cook food in aluminum cookware for the person who is suffering from kidney disease.
Is Hard-Anodized PTFE (Teflon) And PFOA Free Or Not?
Aluminum causes leaching and due to this, masses are focused on the health risks attached to them. Both of the chemicals are used in the manufacturing of hard-anodized aluminum cookware. This is used in the process of coating. PTFE is the second name of Teflon. It is a human-made chemical that is used for layers. In addition to it, without the PFOA, the manufacturing of Teflon was not possible.
PTFE is safe as well as a stable compound. However, when it starts emitting the toxic fumes of PFIB, then it may be harmful. If you mistakenly inhale the fumes of it then it causes the poly fume fever. In addition to it, these fumes can also become the reason for the death of birds. So if you have birds and pets in your home, then it is better to keep away from them.
How To Avoid Scratches On Hard Anodized Cookware?
If the surface is damaged, then it causes numerous health risks. Otherwise, it does not cause any side effects on health. You should have to avoid this factor. Here is the list of ways by which you can deal with these two problems.
- For the long-lasting coating, it is recommended to wash this cookware by your hand. Do not use any dishwasher on it.
- Do not use any abrasive cleaner. It can cause scratches or affect the coating.
- You can use only mild soap on it. This will avoid the problem of discoloration and prevent the coating from damage.
- Keep the hard anodized cookware in a safe place. You can also hang it in the kitchen.
- Prefer wooden utensils/ladle while cooking the food. It will not damage the coating of hard-anodized cookware. In addition to it, avoid storing food in it.
- Cook the food on low flame. If you cook the food on high flame, then it causes damage.
- If you preheat the pan, then the fumes will release. Therefore, avoid it.
Apply all the ways, as mentioned above, on your hard anodized cookware. These will surely protect the coating from damage.
Precautions that you should take while using Hard-Anodized Aluminum pans:
There is the following list of precautions that you can take for the protection of anodized aluminum pan to make it long-lasting and highly durable: –
- Do not use the butter spray or the aerosol oil on it as it will spoil the utensil.
- It is better to cook in between lower to medium flame.
- It is better to clean the pan with any cloth after the use so that it will remain new and scratch free.
- Make sure that you do not place the pan in cool water immediately after using it. Firstly, cool it then wash it.
How To Buy Hard Anodized Cookware?
- Keep quality in mind before making a purchase. Look for reliable brands that have been in the market for longer period of time.
- When you are purchasing, then think about your usual cooking method. For instance, what kind of food you usually cook. In addition to it, when will you use the hard anodized cookware? Always look for that cookware set that will fulfill all your demands and needs.
- Hard anodized pans are in numerous ranges with the nonstick quality. The non-stick quality includes the coating of Teflon. Teflon coating can protect your food from leaching.
- Decide on a budget.
Also Read : Find the Best Stainless Steel Cookware In India.
Frequently Asked Questions
Here are some interesting FAQs on Hard Anodized Cookware :
Hard anodized cookware is safe to use as these are made of high grade anodized aluminum that makes it ideal for cooking
Most of the hard anodized cookware do not make use of PFOA. Make sure to read the features of the product carefully before buying one.
Non-stick pans and hard anodized cookware offer most of the same benefits. However, in terms of the durability it is scratch resistant and long-lasting.
Some of the safest cookware to use are stainless steel, ceramic, and glass.
In the end, all the information, as mentioned above, is the exact answer to the question is hard anodized cookware safe. It is not only safe but easy to use as well. You can use it as per your convenience. If one is concerned about health safety issues, then it is better to purchase a free PFOA set. That means the cookware does not have a coating of PFOA. You can also avoid the health risk by using the hard-anodized cookware either on low flame or medium flame.