Haldiram’s Upma Instant Mix Review
Upma is a popular breakfast dish from the southern part of the country that has won over a lot of hearts throughout India. Is Haldiram’s Upma Instant Mix worth your kitchen space? Read our review to know more.
Instant mixes are a life savior – especially if you love homemade idlis, dosas, vadas, and upmas. Upma, uppumavu or uppittu is a semolina-based South Indian dish that can be eaten at breakfast time or as an evening snack with some coconut or tomato chutney. It is light, healthy and very quick to make. Most upma recipes add a lot of vegetables, a handful of chana dal and a tempering of curry leaves and mustard seeds. We tried and tasted Haldiram’s Upma Instant Mix and here is our #FirstImpression.
Sticky upma? Try roasting the sooji/rava for a longer time.
Still sticky? Reduce the amount of water you add to the upma.
Quick Facts About Haldiram’s Upma Instant Mix Review
*As per information on the pack
- It has no added preservatives.
- No added colors or flavors.
- Allergen information – Contains wheat.
- It provides 447.9 Kcal per 100 grams of serving.
Haldiram’s Upma Instant Mix
Haldiram’s Upma Instant Mix cooked well and had a mild taste.
MRP – Rs 85/- for a 500-gram pack
*Price at the time of review
#FirstImpression Of Haldiram’s Upma Instant Mix Review
Haldiram’s Upma Instant Mix comes in a bright pink packing. It is priced at Rs 85/- for a 500-gram pack. 500 grams of this instant mix makes 1250 grams of upma which is enough to serve 8-9 people.
The rava in the dry instant mix was very fine and we could see the ingredients like roasted chana dal, cashews, mustard seeds and chopped curry leaves. The mix is a little oily to touch.
To cook the upma, we followed the instructions given on the pack. To make 250 grams of this upma, we added 900 ml of water. In a pan, we added 900 ml of water and heated until it was lukewarm. In another pan we added 250 grams of the instant mix and added the lukewarm water in two intervals. We stirred continuously to avoid making lumps.
The instructions given on the pack are for making the entire 500-gram pack. Ideally, they should have given a ratio so it would be easy for the user to make a smaller serving too.
After cooking, the rava upma was nice and plump and there were no lumps. The seasoning is mild and the overall flavor was a little muted. But, that’s how an upma is supposed to be. The chana dal was not evenly roasted.
Overall, the upma tasted good but it would have been great if the chana dal was roasted a bit more uniformly.
* If you do agree with our review, please give it a thumbs up! And, tell us which one is your favorite from this list. If you don’t, please tell us why!
* Food & Beverage is a constantly evolving segment with new products launched daily. Our endeavor here is to help shoppers buy better. If there’s a product you would like us to review tell us by clicking here.
* Our reviews are unbiased and all samples used during the reviews were paid for by us. Read our entire ethics statement here.
* No part of this review is sponsored by any brand. All expenses were borne by us.